Thursday, January 1, 2009

Disaster Strikes in the Shortcake Kitchen!!!

I decided I was in the mood to make some Shortcakes on a stick tonight. I wanted to try some new ideas. Mostly I was bored and wanted to keep my hands busy for a bit. When I am trying new ideas, I always use a box mix and frosting. I feel better about only spending 5 bucks for the cake then making a cake from scratch. When I went to the store, I couldn't find a boxed red velvet cake. I decided to use strawberry cake mix instead. I am gearing up for Valentines day and wanted everything red or pink. This was my first mistake. The boxed Strawberry cake is NOT good. My opinion. I shaped all my cake and into the fridge they went. Just because I don't like the taste doesn't mean I can't still use it.
I moved onto the chocolate. Most of the people I have seen make these, use Candy melts. I have a personal problem with that. Candy melts aren't chocolate. They are "chocolate flavor" made from corn seed oil and don't actually contain any chocolate. I use actual chocolate. It is hard to work with then the candy melts but the taste is worth it in the end. So I melted some white chocolate and got to work. Everything was fine until I wanted to color is red. I added gel coloring I have and it wasn't red enough for me, so I added a bit of red liquid food coloring. The chocolate seized up on me and turned into a big glop of chocolate. I tried to fix it by adding a bit of oil to it. Then I added water. The more oil. Then more water. I added more chocolate. I put it back on the heat, I stirred. And in the end I ruined the chocolate. We shall see what happens tomorrow with it. But I think I am out of luck with this batch. The cake balls kept falling off the sticks. The red chocolate, if I can call it that anymore, never really set up. The strawberry cake doesn't taste good. it was a bust all the way around!!
Anyway...lesson learned. Biggest lesson???? Strawberry cake is NO GOOD! Remember, its easy to make it look good. Its hard to make it taste good.
I think my next project will be Cheesecake on a stick!! I love cheesecake!!!
Here are the pictures from my sad night of baking!!
XOXO
Amanda

2 comments:

Bettina said...

check out Foodbuzz.com, it's a place for food bloggs.

Bettina said...

it's a "facebook for food bloggs" as one of my friends says!